Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Busy and loving it

Email is scarce...some host families have it and some do not. So I am feeling very disconnected for a variety of reasons.
This type of travel is very different than what I am used to. We are VERY sheltered and unable to interact with common folk. In fact, I purchased a bottle of water from a market shop for the first time in 9 days--we are provided with water, don't get me wrong, but we have to ask. I am much more of an independent traveler and am coming to realize how much I miss the daily interactions with regular people in a region.
This experience has given me much to think about, be thankful for, and learn from.
I miss home. I miss my sweet man. But, I cannot express the simple moments that bring such joy: a breeze off the Arabian sea, a smile from a little child, a blessing from an old mother, and sharing fellowship with good people. We are only in the beginning of our second week and already my suitcase is overstuffed.
Today, I was given a gift of a lovely fushia saree with gold decorative trim in the shape of birds. (I miss my birdie). Last night I was given a traditional Kpants and long tunic. It is fun to play dress up!

No comments: