
I have been on the short end of the Internet stick, so to speak, being the one team member to never have working Internet at the host families with whom we are staying. So I am far behind on my travel tales. Twice now, I have attempted to submit a blog...and both have failed. I am apparently NOT in favor with the Internet gods. Who would have thought that India would be SO backwards with access to technology? They graduate hundreds of thousands of IT professionals every year. Conversely, I find it also a bit funny that we have yet to see any post cards. Yep, this is my first trip where I will not send post cards to mark my many adventurous steps. Maybe in New Delhi...
But today, I seem to have a bit more technological luck. I will pick up from around where we are currently on day 23 (Tuesday), and later will write more and add stories from the beginning of our trip.
This has been quite a whirlwind, to say the least. Every day our itinerary changes more and more, and for the most part, that makes up the better part of the fun. We have happened upon many a festival, Christmas stars abound, and the scenery is lush and exotic if one can ignore the trash strewn across much of the landscape. We visited a town in the Pathamunthitta area, where an art culture thrives. Students from all over the world come to study different forms of Indian drumming, yoga, local cooking, mural painting, wood carving, martial arts, and dance--including the Kathakali. Kathakali is only found in Kerala, and I am sorry to say I have yet to see it performed. I have seen the elaborate costuming and makeup which takes HOURS to put on. We watched a team get dressed for at least one hour and they only dressed two men (with I don't know how many to follow). The dance is done over four days from sundown to sunup and tells the tale of the mythology of India.
In this cultural village, we saw mirrors made from stone, polished to an unbelievablty perfect shine with no distortion. We were told that only two families know the secret to how it is done. hmmm.
Also in the village, we were shown the 9 faces of emotion, many other ritualistic symbols for all forms of nature, and a little of the Kathakali dance postures. They even let us try on the headdresses. This picture of me is my most evil face, inspired by the wearing of the "Bad Guy" headdress. How did I do?
No comments:
Post a Comment